No need for legalization of particular documents within the European Union

The application of Regulation (EU) 2016/1191 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 6 July 2016 on promoting the free movement of citizens by simplifying the requirements for presenting certain public documents in the European Union and amending Regulation (EU) No 1024/2012 started as from 16 February 2019.

According to the provisions of the Regulation no formalities are required when a public document issued by a Member State of the European Union is presented to an authority of another Member state if the primary purpose of which is to establish one or more of the following facts:

  • Birth;
  • Death;
  • Name;
  • Marriage, including capacity to marry and marital status;
  • Divorce, legal separation or marriage annulment;
  • Registered partnership, including capacity to enter into a registered partnership and registered partnership status;
  • Dissolution of a registered partnership, legal separation or annulment of a registered partnership;
  • Parenthood;
  • Adoption;
  • Domicile and/or residence;
  • Nationality;
  • Absence of a criminal record, provided that public documents concerning this fact are issued for a citizen of the Union by the authorities of that citizen’s Member State of nationality.

In order to be recognized and used without any additional formalities, those documents should:

  1. Be translated according to the legal requirements in any Member State; or
  2. Have the so called “Multilingual standard form” attached. The latter is a form, based on a template to the Regulation. It is issued by the same authority issuing the public document. The form reiterates the respective information from the document and contains information for the document itself – in all official languages of the European Union.

The full version of Regulation (EU) 2016/1191 can be accessed here.

Should you need any assistance regarding the issuance, usage or translation of such documents, we will be happy to assist you.

You can contact us here.

We are ready to answer your questions